Think Global Act Local
South Lanarkshire Greens were joined by activists from across the country at our Manifesto launch in East Kilbride.
It is clear that many of the challenges we face are global, but we know that solutions can and must be delivered at a local level. Last summer, the Scottish Greens made history by becoming the first Greens to enter central government in UK history.
Action by the Scottish Greens has already led to free bus travel for young people, unprecedented action on single-use plastics and record investments in recycling, nature restoration and active travel.
South Lanarkshire Greens are clear. The only way to get a Fairer, Greener South Lanarkshire is to vote Scottish Greens ‘1’ on your ballot paper this May.
Now is the time to elect Scottish Green Councillors to South Lanarkshire. Working together with Greens in other council areas and at government level we will endeavour to improve local lives and facilities.
- We will work hard to find solutions to litter and fly-tipping. Improve bin collection services, extend doorstep recycling to include clothing and other textiles, promote composting and provide a rapid response service to deal with overflowing recycling containers.
- We will urge South Lanarkshire Council to shift spending towards investing in walking, wheeling and cycling networks and roll out 20 minute neighbourhoods, making local neighbourhoods safe, healthy and welcoming for all
- We will work to ensure more South Lanarkshire council owned play and sports facilities are opened outwith school hours.
- We will campaign to extend 20mph speed limits in residential areas by 2025, to improve road safety, reduce air pollution, and give streets back to communities.
- We will protect parks and green spaces and encourage investment in them to provide places for people to enjoy, and for wildlife to flourish.
- We will continue to oppose the large scale incineration of waste and plan for a just transition for workers in this industry.
Scottish Greens are committed to empowering local authorities to meet the needs of their communities. That’s why our MSPs in parliament have secured new powers for councils, new money for active travel and recycling and the biggest increase in funding for teacher recruitment since 2007.
By electing Green Councillors to South Lanarkshire Council you can change how your Council works. Electing a Green Councillor by giving them your first preference vote is the best way to make South Lanarkshire Council a council that supports you and your community to create a better place in a better world.
Click here to view the Scottish Green Party Local Elections 2022 Manifesto
Click here to view the South Lanarkshire Greens Local Manifesto